qpid-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: AMQP client library collaboration
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:15:13 GMT
On 06/10/2010 01:36 PM, Bruce Snyder wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Bruce Snyder<bruce.snyder@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Lahiru Gunathilake<glahiru@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi Bruce,
>>>
>>> One consideration that we identified is that this work will probably
>>>> need to take place outside of the ASF so that non-ASF folks can
>>>> participate (we each agreed that Github would be suitable).
>>>>
>>> -1 !
>>> I do not think this is a good approach to do this and we can always start
>>> this inside ASF as a sub project of Qpid and ask Non ASF folks be ASF folks
>>> !
>>
>> I disagree with hosting it under either the Qpid or ActiveMQ projects.
>> This effort is separate from ActiveMQ or Qpid projects. It's focused
>> strictly on AMQP 1.0 protocol handling. In a perfect world this effort
>> would exist at the AMQP working group's website, but the working group
>> is strictly against the creation and maintenance of any reference
>> implementations. I suppose one other option is the creation of a new
>> project at the ASF, but the only way to do that is via the Incubator
>> and I'm not sure I want the encumbrances that that brings.
>
> I just re-read the Qpid website for a description of the project. The
> most meaningful info I found is here:
>
> http://qpid.apache.org/amqp-compatibility.html
>
> So Qpid seems to be focused on its broker and client *implementations*
> of the spec. The effort I proposed would be focused on a library to be
> used for building AMQP 1.0 clients, not a broker-specific client
> implementation. Like I said previously, the best analogy for this
> effort is to the Apache Commons HTTP Client and the library it
> provides for the HTTP spec. Many folks use the HTTP Client on which to
> build apps and custom HTTP clients. This effort will provide a similar
> spec-focused client library for AMQP 1.0.
>
> So having the project separate from any broker implementation is the ideal.
>

Just read this thread and it makes perfect sense to me that the new project 
should not be embedded in ActiveMQ or Qpid.
But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be an apache project.

Paul Fremantle said:
> We could set this up as a labs project. http://labs.apache.org/
>
> I think that meets your requirements as being independent from
> ActiveMQ and QPid. From there it could go via incubation and become
> its own TLP.

IMO making it a new Apache project makes sense since so many of the interested 
parties  (ActiveMQ and qpid) are already involved in Apache. For those not 
involved in Apache projects, Apache is still a respectable place to host a 
project. I see no reason why e.g. RabbitMQ folks wouldn't contribute to an 
independent AMQP client project hosted at Apache.

I've got nothing against github but I'd prefer not to multiply the number of 
organizations involved without good reason. The only reason I've seen proposed 
for github is independence from qpid/ActiveMQ, and a new Apache project would 
satisfy this requirement just as well.




---------------------------------------------------------------------
Apache Qpid - AMQP Messaging Implementation
Project:      http://qpid.apache.org
Use/Interact: mailto:dev-subscribe@qpid.apache.org


Mime
View raw message