qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Huston" <shus...@riverace.com>
Subject RE: Version and icon resources for Qpid cpp executables on Windows
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2010 21:25:18 GMT
Hi Chuck,

> I'd like to add minimal resources, such as a version number
> and an icon, to windows executables and dlls produced by
> qpid-cpp. I see two paths to this goal and would like your
> opinion on how to get there.
>
> 1. Add minimal.rc and a qpid.ico files to each project.
>   * CMake commands are propagated through to the Visual
> Studio projects.
>   * Version and Icon resources are compiled into resulting files.
>
> 2. Compile the files as they are today with no version nor
> icon resources.
>   * Post-build procedures patch the needed resources into the
> exe and dll files.

Ok.

> Option #1 makes it harder for consumers of the qpid source
> pool to get the version info straight from raw checkout. The
> procedure would probably be to check out the sources but then
> lay down the specific file versions for the build before the

I don't understand the need for laying down pieces by hand here. This
should all be automatable during the build.

> compile phase. Once the sources are in place, however, the
> compiler does it's job and trustworthy images are built.
>
> Option #2 is easier to create the exe or dll from raw
> checkout. But then you have to trust your patch tool to do
> the right thing.

And you would probably need to hand-edit something for the build, yes?
If so, that would be a source of errors at build time.

> I'm leaning toward option #2. It places the burden of adding
> the resources only on projects that need them and not on
> everyone. Is there a best-practice method to address this problem?

I'm not a release-engineering expert, but automation == good in my book.
Until I learn more about the pitfalls you've encountered or anticipate,
I'd lean to #1.

-Steve

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org