qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Rename drain and spout? qpid-python-test ....
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:12:57 GMT
On 08/11/2010 11:28 AM, Jonathan Robie wrote:
> qpid-python-test generally assumes that programs to be executed are on
> the path.
>
> I wrote some Python unit tests that use drain and spout in three
> languages, and test interop. My tests specify the complete path to the
> programs, but this makes installation a little more complex.
>
> It would be convenient to have different program names that can coexist
> on the path, e.g.
>
> python-send
> python-receive
> cpp-send
> cpp-receive
> java-send
> java-receive
>
> Would renaming these examples in this way have any significant
> disadvantages?

I'm not keen on putting the language in the name of the program. People using a
program typically care about what it does, not what language it's written in. I
think qpid-send and qpid-receive are the kind of programs that we want to
install as debugging/testing tools, not just examples. (BTW, I think we *do*
need the qpid- prefix if we want to install these things in standard paths.) I
don't see the user benefit to installing multiple different-language
implementations of essentially the same program.

Interop testing is a special case, I don't think we should complicate the naming
of programs intended for users in order to simplify our interop testing. Perhaps
for interop testing purposes you could copy qpid-send to qpid-cpp-send etc. in
your path to give distinct names for purposes of the test.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org