qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Rename drain and spout? qpid-python-test ....
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2010 11:00:57 GMT
On 08/11/2010 08:15 PM, Justin Ross wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>
>> qpid-python-test generally assumes that programs to be executed are on
>> the path.
>>
>> I wrote some Python unit tests that use drain and spout in three
>> languages, and test interop. My tests specify the complete path to the
>> programs, but this makes installation a little more complex.
>
> I think the answer depends on what you intend to test.
>
> If it's just a generic interop test, don't use drain and spout. Those
> are example programs. An interop suite should use senders and receivers
> built for testing.
>
> If it's specifically to test the example code, then the key concept is
> "default system location". drain and spout don't need to be in the path,
> but the examples do need to live at a well-known base directory. That
> way, your tests can find drains and spouts (from the base directory).
> Offer an environment variable for overriding the base directory. Iow,
> for this particular problem, you don't need to use the search path.

This is what the tests were supposed to be in my view. They are there to
verify the examples work as expected (and were a replacement for the old
verify scripts for the old examples).

> Why are we testing interop using drain and spout? Is it just expediency?

As above, that's not really the objective here. The objective is to
ensure that the examples keep working for the cases and combinations we
need.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org