qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Kennedy <andrewinternatio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 0-10 Session Close and Failover
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2010 21:25:35 GMT
On 3 Aug 2010, at 21:52, Rajith Attapattu wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Andrew Kennedy
> <andrewinternational@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can you elaborate on what the issue is, as I didn't see any of the
>> cpp
>> profile tests failing?
>
> The java-cpp-cluster test profile was hanging due to your checkin,
> since a non zero timeout causes stale sessions to interfere with
> proper failover.
> Alan Conway made a commit at rev 981933 to ignore non zero timeouts,
> so that issue is now gone.
> So now there is no real hurry to backout the change.

Understood.

In that case, I'll leave it in at the moment. I will be discussing
Rafi's suggestions with the other developers in my team tomorrow, so
I'll post a summary to the list for everyone, to make sure we're
going in the right direction.

> However as Rafi pointed out, there is no point in having non zero
> timeouts as neither the c++ broker nor the java broker (it still
> doesn't even have clustering) implements full session resume.
> So perhaps it's best to consider the alternative Rafi suggested.
>
>> If you had a test that illustrated the problem
>> it would make it easier to understand your issue.
>
> The test is "testFailoverInALoop" in FailoverTest.java

Thanks,

I didn't notice and/or run that profile, grrr... I had *thought* i
ran all the available test profiles, but I missed that one.

There are five cpp profiles, plus another five (or seven, depending
on the backing store I use) java profiles, making twelve possible
profiles - each one taking from fifteen minutes to an hour each to
run on my PC- so it's easy to miss one! I think that means automated
continuous integration based testing is *really* needed, like Rob and
Rafi suggested. Depending on the speed of the CI server, I suppose
this would probably have to be run overnight, just once a day?

Actually, another problem I had was just *building* the cpp broker
from trunk. I got stuck in package dependency hell with umpteen
versions of 'boost' and 'cmake' on my RHEL4 box and couldn't (still
can't) build the broker. On a 64bit system with RHEL5 things were
easier, it just wasn't my box ;( I do have a working RHEL4 (32bit)
build now, which is what I tested with, but I don't think it should
have taken me so much effort to set up. Is there anything I'm doing
wrong or I should know about? I can try again and supply error
messages if that would help, as I'd like to test against the most up-
to date binaries.

I'll obviously make sure *all* the cpp profiles' tests are passing ok
before any major 0-10 client-side check-ins, next time ;)

Cheers,
Andrew.
--
-- andrew d kennedy ? do not fold, bend, spindle, or mutilate ;
-- http://grkvlt.blogspot.com/ ? edinburgh : +44 7941 197 134 ;

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org