qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Kennedy <andrewinternatio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Updating the 0-10 Java transport layer
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2010 15:37:32 GMT
On 20 August 2010 16:16, Rajith Attapattu <rajith77@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to see the following in any future work carried out in the area.
>
> 1. Move the additional transport code out of common module. This is a
> very important requirement for me as I would like to get rid of the
> MINA dependencies.
>   My goal is to make the clients as light weight as possible with
> minimum dependencies in both runtime and compile time.

+1 Although I'm not sure we yet have a good way of managing external
modules that have dependencies. I am still thinking about the best way
to do this.

> 2. Preserve the ability to load any transport via reflection.

+1 On the client, I don't intend to remove this. At first I thought
about doing a similar thing to the broker with OSGi, but I don't think
this is really feasible yet. The reflection mechanism (class.forName()
basically) would still be used, with a system property to decide what
transport to be used, and the external module supplied on the
classpath as a .jar file.

> 3. Not introduce any dependencies into client or common modules. I
> mentioned this specifically as QPID-2818 mentions about OSGi-fication
> of the transports on the client side.
>    This is a big -1 from me, unless this can be achieved via a
> separate module without introducing any dependencies into the client
> and common modules.

Heh, see my quick edit - i realised this might be misconstrued as soon
as I hit submit on the comment, so I edited it to add '(on the
broker)' which I hoped would make things clearer...

> In general I am +1 on making the code simple and easy understand.
> I am -1 on making it any more complicated with features that are nice
> to have than must have.

Agreed, and I will straighten out the documentation I'm working on and
add the relevant parts to some of the JIRAs so people have a better
idea what I'm trying to accomplish, but I believe we're on the same
page here...

Andrew.
--
-- andrew d kennedy ? edinburgh : +44 7941 197 134 ;

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org