qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Rename drain and spout? qpid-python-test ....
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:15:43 GMT
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Jonathan Robie wrote:

> qpid-python-test generally assumes that programs to be executed are on the
> path.
>
> I wrote some Python unit tests that use drain and spout in three languages,
> and test interop. My tests specify the complete path to the programs, but
> this makes installation a little more complex.

I think the answer depends on what you intend to test.

If it's just a generic interop test, don't use drain and spout.  Those are
example programs.  An interop suite should use senders and receivers built
for testing.

If it's specifically to test the example code, then the key concept is
"default system location".  drain and spout don't need to be in the path,
but the examples do need to live at a well-known base directory.  That
way, your tests can find drains and spouts (from the base directory).
Offer an environment variable for overriding the base directory.  Iow, for
this particular problem, you don't need to use the search path.

Why are we testing interop using drain and spout?  Is it just expediency?

Justin

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org