qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Monitoring with JVM's JMX agent
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:52:35 GMT
If you are setting the JVM properties then you need to connect to the
JMX agent you are instructing the JVM to start; Qpid only starts its
own programatically if you havent set the properties instructing the
JVM to start its own. If management is enabled in the broker config,
the Qpid MBeans will still be available via the platform agent. If you
dont want to use the JVM's built in JMX agent then dont set the
properties and just connect to the JMX server the broker creates
itself (if management is enabled).

To do 'InVM' monitoring you could simply access the MBeanServer
locally by grabbing it via ManagementFactory.getPlatformMBeanServer()
instead of using an MBeanServerConnection via a JMXConnector.

Side note: those properties were really originally created for older
JVM versions, as of Java6 you only time you need to set them is if you
want to perform 'remote' (ie network based, can still be on the same
machine) access using the JVMs built in agent. If you are the user who
started the process then you can always attach JConsole locally; using
the AttachAPI feature in v6 JVMs it can inject a JMX agent into the
JVM process while it is running and then connect to it, so you dont
need to bother specifying the properties in that case and can moniot
any application whether the old management proeprties were set or not
when it was started.

Robbie

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org