qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Fabbri <ajfab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Heads up re Rdma IO state transitions [Was: AsynchIO state transition]
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2010 04:59:08 GMT
On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Andrew Stitcher <astitcher@redhat.com> wrote:
> For those interested in the Rdma implementation:
>
> I've been doing a lot of stability work, stressing the rdma code in odd
> corner cases (unexpected disconnects mostly). While on this trail I
> reailised I could simplify the Rdma::AsynchIO state machine drastically
> by ensuring that all callbacks generated by this layer happen in the
> "thread context" of the connection.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm taking a quick look at the diffs.  By
"thread context of the connection", do you mean always having these
callbacks happen from the poller threads?

Can you give some hints on how this simplified things?

> After an iteration to improve the performance which added a simple
> version of the state machine back, we have a version that has very
> similar throughput, but a little better latency as measured by me on my
> development boxes.

What sort of latency improvement are you seeing?

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org