qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Rolke <cro...@redhat.com>
Subject Migrate Windows builds to Visual Studio 2010
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2010 16:13:23 GMT
Hi All,

In Qpid for Windows there are several hard-coded source references to Visual Studio (VS) 2008.
Is there any interest in migrating to VS 2010?

By far the largest consumer of VS objects is /cpp, qpid-cpp.sln, and all the related projects.
These are mostly unaffected by VS version as cmake generates the VS solution and project files
from scratch and they adapt to the VS version automatically.

Checked-in source references involving a VS version are in /cpp, /dotnet, and /wcf where there
are a few solution, project, and script files. None of these is a huge obstacle to an upgrade
but there may be some non-obvious reasons to stick with VS 2008.

Microsoft's free Express versions of Visual Studio moved to 2010 a long time ago. Today you
have to hunt a little to get Express 2008 but it's still out there. Eventaully, though, 2008
will retire and I don't want Qpid left out.

Q1: Can we plan a Visual Studio 2010 upgrade for the next release?

Q2: How do developers get their Visual Studio? Do you buy VS Ultimate/Premium/Professional
editions or do you run Express? I have VS 2008 Professional. If somebody changed all the projects
in Qpid to VS 2010 today then I'd be upset until I got VS 2010. I want the upgrade to be as
painless as possible.

Q3: Apparently I can have both VS 2008 and VS 2010 installed on the same dev system. Has anyone
ever done this? (What a great cmake test!)

-Chuck

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org