qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Lahiru Gunathilake <glah...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How important is consistency in command line util options?
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2010 22:46:18 GMT
Hi Robie,

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 4:08 AM, Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@redhat.com>wrote:

> How important is consistency in options for Python command line utilities?
>
> I'm thinking particularly of consistent syntax for options that are
> supported in more than one utility. We use some options quite consistently,
> e.g. --durable always means the same thing.
>
> Broker addresses are specified in various ways:
>
> -a
> --broker-addr
> --broker-address
> a positional argument
>
> Timeout can usually be specified as "-t" or "--timeout", but in qpid-route,
> "-t" means "transport".

+1 for keeping consistency with the command line options. I would propose
use same argument names in all the places and document all in one place.

I found it's extremely difficult to find the required document from our
documentation set(wiki etc), but hopefully there are documentations.

Thanks
Lahiru

Should we care about this?