qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Zap trailing whitespace?
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2011 21:03:05 GMT
On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 15:36 -0500, Jonathan Robie wrote:
> I'd like to zap trailing whitespace from the source files in our SVN repo.

> Does anyone object to me doing this?

Yes I object. This will cause spurious diffs to pretty much every C++
file, and may well cause failed merges.

The diffs will be trivial but being in nearly every file will make it
hard to merge changes from before this massive check in to changes after
this massive check in.

>  Do we agree that source files
> should not have trailing whitespace?

Yes I agree, but we have to deal with the state that we have now in a
way that is productive for everyone.

> Are there any timing issues? Is there a best time to do this?

The correct way to do this is to ensure that no change can enter the
repo with trailing spaces. Because there are people who are using
editors that add trailing space into new changes unless we fix this
first we will be forever fixing this issue.

The way I'd prefer to deal with this is to add a hook to the svn checkin
process (and while we're doing that ban tab characters too; ban them
because there is no way to know how many spaces they represent
universally) which would strip them out of any new/changed line.

Andrew

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org