qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Robie <jonathan.ro...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Zap trailing whitespace?
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2011 21:38:37 GMT
On 01/31/2011 04:03 PM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:

> The way I'd prefer to deal with this is to add a hook to the svn
> checkin process (and while we're doing that ban tab characters too;
> ban them because there is no way to know how many spaces they
> represent universally) which would strip them out of any new/changed
> line.

I think we should do this regardless.

Any objections?

> On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 15:36 -0500, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>> I'd like to zap trailing whitespace from the source files in our
>> SVN repo.
>>
>> Does anyone object to me doing this?
>
> Yes I object. This will cause spurious diffs to pretty much every
> C++ file, and may well cause failed merges.
>
> The diffs will be trivial but being in nearly every file will make
> it hard to merge changes from before this massive check in to changes
> after this massive check in.

If we do the svn hook, but don't strip trailing whitespace in one
checkin, we get a lot of spurious diffs over a longer period of time,
and they aren't related to the purpose of a given check in.

I don't like a lot of spurious diffs in one massive checkin, and I don't
like them distributed over a larger number of checkins ... is one way
less painful than the other?

In the meantime, if I want to check in a bug fix, should I strip
trailing whitespace in the files I modify?

Jonathan

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org