qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Kennedy <andrewinternatio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse project files for Java code
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2011 16:59:42 GMT
On 4 Jan 2011, at 15:06, Robert Godfrey wrote:
> On 4 January 2011 15:36, Rafael Schloming <rafaels@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Personally I think jumping into major build system changes at this
>> point is
>> going to be a waste of time. I think past discussions have made
>> clear that
>> changing *how* the various components and artifacts are built is
>> really just
>> going to introduce more churn, and we have more basic issues to
>> address
>> around *what* components and artifacts are delivered and how the
>> code is
>> structured/divided into modules.

However, actually making the change to a modern build system that
forces modularity and componentisation would accomplish this, while
also prompting discussion and showing up things that would otherwise
be ignored. Basically, if someone attempted to implement the changes,
that person would discover the cruft and unwanted dependencies and
complexities, hypothetically, and would be in a position to report on
or fix them.

> +1 from me too.  I'm not sure what we think the objective of moving
> to maven
> now would be.  I agree with Emmanuel in the other thread that
> delivering
> official artefacts for Maven repos is a sensible objective, but I
> don;t
> think we need to/should move to Maven simply for that.
>
> As Rafi says above, I think we need a sensible discussion on what the
> components and artefacts are (across the whole project, not just
> the Java
> part) before jumping into tool selection/change.  Related, (at
> least as far
> as maven is concerned), is the notion of (external) dependency
> management -
> however again I think we want to define our desired outcome before
> selecting
> the tool.
>
> I think the discussion on modules / components / artefacts is
> probably one
> of the more important things we have to do in 2011.

-1 Mostly.

Discussion is great. We seem to have agreed we need to have one of
those. However, there is always a lot of inertia around changes to
'The Way We Have Always Done It' which is obvious from the above and
other comments in this thread.

I think the move to Maven is a no-brainer, this is 2011 and it should
be done no matter what. We should also be using that work as a
springboard for the discussion we need to have.

Cheerz,
Andrew.
--
-- andrew d kennedy ? do not fold, bend, spindle, or mutilate ;
-- http://grkvlt.blogspot.com/ ? edinburgh : +44 7582 293 255 ;

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org