qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse project files for Java code
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2011 15:06:02 GMT
On 4 January 2011 15:36, Rafael Schloming <rafaels@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 01/04/2011 07:41 AM, Gordon Sim wrote:
>
>> On 12/21/2010 10:54 AM, Marnie McCormack wrote:
>>
>>> This discussion is something worthy of its own thread with a meaningful
>>> subject name on dev.
>>>
>>> There are quite a few opinions out there on the subject and likely
>>> requires
>>> a vote to make major changes.
>>> We've been through so many build system re-writes that I don't have much
>>> appetite for more. But I'm definitely not the voice of build - so a full
>>> discussion would be best.
>>>

>> I would pretty much echo Marnie's view on this.
>>

> +1
>
> Personally I think jumping into major build system changes at this point is
> going to be a waste of time. I think past discussions have made clear that
> changing *how* the various components and artifacts are built is really just
> going to introduce more churn, and we have more basic issues to address
> around *what* components and artifacts are delivered and how the code is
> structured/divided into modules.
>
> --Rafael

+1 from me too.  I'm not sure what we think the objective of moving to maven
now would be.  I agree with Emmanuel in the other thread that delivering
official artefacts for Maven repos is a sensible objective, but I don;t
think we need to/should move to Maven simply for that.

As Rafi says above, I think we need a sensible discussion on what the
components and artefacts are (across the whole project, not just the Java
part) before jumping into tool selection/change.  Related, (at least as far
as maven is concerned), is the notion of (external) dependency management -
however again I think we want to define our desired outcome before selecting
the tool.

I think the discussion on modules / components / artefacts is probably one
of the more important things we have to do in 2011.

-- Rob