qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Kennedy <andrewinternatio...@gmail.com>
Subject QPID-3008 / 0-10 Java Client Failover / Queue Browser Oddity
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2011 00:57:06 GMT
Hi.

I'm about to commit a change that will alter the behaviour of the
AMQP 0-10 Java client during failover. To be specific, the mechanics
of client failover, despite some shared classes and packages
(FailoverPolicy for example) differ greatly between 0-8/0-9 and 0-10.
The earlier client connection delegate classes use of the
AMQProtocolHandler, as well as the FailoverHandler continuation which
ran after losing broker connectivity, is not present in the 0-10
delegate. This means that the CountdownLatch created and held by the
*protocol* handler is never created, so methods which try to call
AMQConnection#blockUntilNotFailingOver() or #isFailingOver() will
receive incorrect results.

I have raised QPID-3008 as follows:

> In the 0-10 Java client when a QueueBrowser returns an Enumeration,
> and it is being enumerated over while the connection fails over,
> the consumer cannot tell that failover is ocurring and sends
> messages with incorrect subscriber tag numbers to the broker. The
> BasicMessageConsumer_0_10 uses the shared
> BasicMessageConsumer#acquireReceiving(boolean) method which tries
> to call AMQConnection#isFailingOver() and #blockUntilNotFailingOver
> () and receives incorrect results. This is because
> AMQConnectionDelegate_0_10 does not start a FailoverHandler
> continuation and therefore the AMQProtocolHandler#setFailoverLatch
> (CountdownLatch) and associated methods are never called.
>
> To correct this behaviour update the connection close method of the
> 0-10 delegate to create the latch, attempt failover and then
> decrement and remove the latch on success.

I am fairly confident that this will not result in any issues with
the C++ broker failover or cluster behaviour, but would like to know
if anyone thinks this change could cause problems? The particular
test is QueueBrowserAutoAckTest#testFailoverWithQueueBrowser() and is
excluded only from the cpp.noprefetch profile, and this may be why...?

Finally, I note that while enumerating messages on a queue browser,
when it calls #receiveBrowse(), a 0-8 consumer will cause #receive(0)
to be called to obtain the next message, whereas a 0-10 consumer will
call #receiveNoWait() instead.

Can anyone tell me whether the blocking or non-blocking behaviour is
correct?

Cheerz,
Andrew.
--
-- andrew d kennedy ? do not fold, bend, spindle, or mutilate ;
-- http://grkvlt.blogspot.com/ ? edinburgh : +44 7582 293 255 ;

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org