qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Kennedy <andrewinternatio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: QIP proposal: Easy Broker Info
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2011 21:24:40 GMT
On 13 Jan 2011, at 18:00, Justin Ross wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, Steve Huston wrote:

I would suggest a nice pluggable architecture. There would be a
broker info provider class, just like you suggested, which would be
feeding into a one or many publisheres. These could be, for example:

* A '/var/lib/qpid/' filesystem driver on Linux
* A 'C:\Documents and Settings\Qpid User\Local Settings\Application
Data\' filesystem driver for Windows
* A Registry driver on Windows
* An Active Directory driver on Windows Server
* an SNMP MIB generator for systems with an SNMP agent
* A JMX driver on the Java broker
* A QMF driver for both Java and C++ brokers

You could include a lot of information in the provider's dump and the
publisher plugins will decide what information to filter out of this
and select and how (and how often) to present it.

That gives you a lot of flexibility and extends your use cases into
things like automated broker discovery and enterprise auditing and
management tools. Easy is good, but single purpose features are dead
ends. We should be looking at creating a full-on best-of-breed
enterprise messaging system that can *really* compete with all the
commercial entities out there, and we need many of these features,
like active discovery, for that.

Andrew.
--
-- andrew d kennedy ? do not fold, bend, spindle, or mutilate ;
-- http://grkvlt.blogspot.com/ ? edinburgh : +44 7582 293 255 ;

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org