qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com>
Subject Qpid Improvement Process
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2011 14:42:32 GMT
Hi, everyone.

I'd like to propose a new way to communicate about the major changes going
into our releases.  The goal is to help us make decisions early in the
process, coordinate when a change in one place impacts another, and
engender a broader sense of direction.  It should also help to document
the work that we do.

To do this, I've imitated an approach that's been used in other community
software projects.  The Python project, for instance, uses Python
Enhancement Proposals (PEPs) to review important changes to the Python
language [1].

I've attempted to produce something very similar here and tie it into our
release process.  It's my hope that during the 0.10 cycle some
contributors will opt to describe their major changes using the QIP
process.  This is, however, entirely optional.

The attached QIP 1 and QIP template should provide an overview of how this
might work.  This is very much in an early and unrefined form, so I
hope you'll take a look and share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Justin

---
[1] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/