qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: CMake status?
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2011 18:10:28 GMT
On 03/28/2011 06:34 AM, Paul Colby wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Just wondering, what is the official status of CMake support in Qpid?
>
> It seems to me (I know very little about CMake) that the existing
> SWIG-based bindings are not being built by CMake, despite the presence
> of CMakeList.txt files... is this just because they're still a work in
> progress, or because I'm a CMake n00b? ;)
>
> PS - I'm not bothering to report the actual CMake issues I'm seeing,
> since this is no CMake support group... just tell me if it's supposed
> to work, and if so, I'll figure it out ;)

The current status of CMake is that it is incomplete. It doesn't do packaging,
it doesn't build some parts of the system like cluster, swig and probably
others. It does what the windows project needs it to do, and beyond that nothing
is guaranteed. At some point we need to bring cmake up to speed and _delete_ the
automake system so people cannot continue to extend it and are forced to fix any
remaining issues in cmake. I don't think anyone has had the time or the
willpower to take that on to date, and the job keeps getting bigger (I'm as
guilty as anyone of extending automake and forgetting cmake.)

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org