qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Kennedy <andrewinternatio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Qpid and AMQP 1-0: Plans?
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2011 08:25:16 GMT
On 24 Mar 2011, at 16:45, Rafael Schloming wrote:
> On 03/24/2011 11:55 AM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
>> On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 16:07 +0100, Robert Godfrey wrote:
>>> Branch is probably the wrong name here... but I'm thinking that
>>> this doesn't
>>> really fit under the same umbrella as the rest of the components
>>> which have
>>> a single release cycle currently.  What we possibly want is
>>> something that
>>> is in parallel to the existing codebase... repos/asf/qpid/trunk/
>>> transport in
>>> parallel to repos/asf/qpid/trunk/qpid would be one way of doing
>>> it...
>>> Although looking at other Apache projects it seems like the
>>> common way of
>>> doing this is
>>>
>>> .../asf/<project>/<component>/trunk or even
>>> .../asf/<project>/<component>/<sub-component>/trunk (see ant,

>>> commons,
>>> httpd, etc.)
>>>
>>> Though this would obviously require a little more re-organisation
>>> for us
>>> all...
>>
>> Actually not necessarily, we already have a superfluous "qpid"
>> directory
>> at the top level of trunk, so we could introduce "amqp-transport" at
>> that level if we wanted to.
>>
>> ie .../asf/qpid/trunk/amqp-transport/...
>>
>> I'm not necessarily advocating this, but it would avoid a whole
>> lot of
>> top level moves that might heavily confuse the git mirroring process.
>
> I'd be fine with this option as well. I think the key thing for me
> is to maintain the packaging and interface discipline of keeping
> the transport as a standalone entity.

We could insert a sub-project at the top level while still
maintaining the existing structure? For example:

.../asf/qpid/trunk/qpid/spec
.../asf/qpid/trunk/qpid/cpp
.../asf/qpid/trunk/qpid/java
.../asf/qpid/trunk/qpid/...

.../asf/qpid/qpid-amqp/trunk/common
.../asf/qpid/qpid-amqp/trunk/cpp
.../asf/qpid/qpid-amqp/trunk/java
.../asf/qpid/qpid-amqp/trunk/...

This is a fairly common idiom. ActiveMQ do this, for instance:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/activemq/trunk/
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/activemq/activemq-protobuf/trunk/

Andrew.
--
-- andrew d kennedy ? do not fold, bend, spindle, or mutilate ;
-- http://grkvlt.blogspot.com/ ? edinburgh : +44 7582 293 255 ;