qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: "Attic" area in svn; any ideas? (was Re: [VOTE] Stop publishing release artefacts for unmaintained components (was Re: 0.10 release update - RC1 and status))
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2011 13:44:57 GMT
On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 15:02 +0200, Robert Godfrey wrote:

> So my suggestion would probably be to have attic as a sibling to the current
> trunk
>
> i.e. as
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/attic
>
> to move the current trunk versions of the retired modules there, along with
> a README explaining what the attic is
>
> -- Rob

This could quickly devolve into a "bikeshed" discussion so I'll get some
thoughts in early before it does!

* If we are going to move these subdirectories out of the main source
controlled area we might as well just delete them, as for most people
that is what it'll look like and the whole point of source control is
that nothing is really lost and you can "go back in time" and recover
the artefacts anyway.

* Putting them outside the main trunk/branch/tag makes the code
invisible to the git mirror which an increasing number of us use.
Incidentally this wouldn't be an objection to creating self contained
new projects there as we'd get infrastructure to mirror those
separately.

* So I suggest just adding a sibling directory at the very top level of
trunk etc called obsolete and keep things in this for 1 release and
delete it.

-- So we'd end up with
   .../asf/qpid/trunk/qpid &
   .../asf/qpid/trunk/obsolete