qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "Attic" area in svn; any ideas? (was Re: [VOTE] Stop publishing release artefacts for unmaintained components (was Re: 0.10 release update - RC1 and status))
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2011 13:53:07 GMT
On 1 April 2011 15:44, Andrew Stitcher <astitcher@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 15:02 +0200, Robert Godfrey wrote:
>
> > So my suggestion would probably be to have attic as a sibling to the
> current
> > trunk
> >
> > i.e. as
> >
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/attic
> >
> > to move the current trunk versions of the retired modules there, along
> with
> > a README explaining what the attic is
> >
> > -- Rob
>
> This could quickly devolve into a "bikeshed" discussion so I'll get some
> thoughts in early before it does!
>
> * If we are going to move these subdirectories out of the main source
> controlled area we might as well just delete them, as for most people
> that is what it'll look like and the whole point of source control is
> that nothing is really lost and you can "go back in time" and recover
> the artefacts anyway.
>
> * Putting them outside the main trunk/branch/tag makes the code
> invisible to the git mirror which an increasing number of us use.
> Incidentally this wouldn't be an objection to creating self contained
> new projects there as we'd get infrastructure to mirror those
> separately.
>
> * So I suggest just adding a sibling directory at the very top level of
> trunk etc called obsolete and keep things in this for 1 release and
> delete it.
>
> -- So we'd end up with
>   .../asf/qpid/trunk/qpid &
>   .../asf/qpid/trunk/obsolete

I think rather than doing that I would just remove the directories
immediately.  There seems little point on leaving them under trunk if they
are orphans and no-one is going to care for them... And the historic
releases which include them are still available through svn's history (in
particular under the tagged directories representing releases).

There was some discussion previously about having an attic where things are
"frozen" unless anyone wants to bring them in again.  I'm fairly relaxed
about not having an attic and just deleting... but I don;t really see the
point of moving them somewhere else in trunk and then deleting.

-- Rob