qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "Attic" area in svn; any ideas? (was Re: [VOTE] Stop publishing release artefacts for unmaintained components (was Re: 0.10 release update - RC1 and status))
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2011 20:10:56 GMT
On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Alan Conway <aconway@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/01/2011 02:03 PM, Steve Huston wrote:
>
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>>  On 1 April 2011 18:19, Steve Huston<shuston@riverace.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>>  You have to ask yourself, "How much time and effort am I willing to
>>>>

>>> I'm not sure that's really the question... the idea of an
>>> attic is that it would be frozen.  The balance is really
>>> between effort up front to move it there now, vs. potential
>>> effort expended in trying to locate it again if it gets
>>> brought back from the dead / if anyone is interested in looking at it.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure that in either case we are really talking about
>>> a sizeable effort.
>>>

>> Right, probably not sizeable as in days of effort. But you need to think
>> about responses to people who email the list with questions on it. If
>> the pieces are deleted, the answer is "it's gone; if you want to dredge
>> up the past instead of using the updated, supported stuff that works,
>> please justify why someone should spend a few hours getting it back.
>> Better yet, donate a bag of cash to ASF."
>>
>> If it's in the attic (or whatever place it's named) it's going to
>> generate more questions because it's visible. Even if it's just "why is
>> the .NET stuff gone? Are you MS haters?" that will need someone to
>> respond to it. Or to continually explain why it's in the attic.
>>

> Delete it. Nobody's maintaining it and we have better alternatives on the
> project. If someone wants to work on these areas of functionality they
> should be working on the new stuff, keeping the old stuff is just confusing.
> If someone has a historical interest in the old stuff they can grab a 0.8
> tarball, no effort required. If they want to track the history more closely,
> that's what SVN is for. However I don't think we should spend a lot more
> time thinking about how to cater to these hypothetical people of the future.
> One thing that's clear from this thread is that nobody is interested in this
> code now.
>
> Having read all the comments I am also thinking that removing is the best
option.
I actually tried to do this about an year ago and didn't find enough
support.
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@qpid.apache.org/msg09638.html

My suggestion to remove at the time was promoted by yet another question
from a user about the unmaintained and unsupported 0.10 and 0-8 .NET
clients.

On a different thread I did suggest that Rob's idea of moving to an attic
maybe a good compromise. But that was purely taking into consideration the
work done by Julian and Aidan.
Seems like there has been no activity from either of them for a while now.
So lets remove this code and move on with it.

Rajith