qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 0.10 release update - generally available
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 17:01:26 GMT
On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Justin Ross <jross@redhat.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> number of people who have asked about the possibility over the years
>> and had probably given up hope of it ever happening ;)
>>
>> I think https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/010-release.html includes
>> various bits of project/developer orientated info that make it
>> unsuitable for direct use as a release notes page, although some of
>> the earlier information on the page would be OK if separated. That
>> said, I don't think we should be manually creating the release notes
>> content to this extent, that's something JIRA does for you and is one
>> of the reasons to use an issue tracker at all. To me, if you need to
>> reword a JIRA title to describe what it does for the release notes
>> then that just says we already needed to improve the title on JIRA
>> anyway and should be doing that on an ongoing basis instead. I see
>> value in highlighting perhaps the 5 most noteworthy things about a
>> given release in the announcement email, then having everything after
>> that just going via the full release notes and/or documentation.
>>
>> I made a release notes page for the website for 0.8 with the combined
>> JIRA releases notes from the 0.7 and 0.8 versions to make it possible
>> to see everything in a single location, and also so that we could link
>> to the website in our release announcement. Various other projects do
>> this and many of them also offer them via a release notes section on
>> their website. The website looks nicer and is faster than JIRA, it
>> drives users to our website rather than the wiki or JIRA, and finally
>> it gets more links to the website out there for Google to index due to
>> blogs/aggregators/mail archives etc picking it up from the
>> announcement email. I have put up a similar page for 0.10 at
>> http://qpid.apache.org/release_notes_0.10.html if you want to use it.
>
> Thanks, Robbie.  That's excellent.
>
> Here's the release announcement that I have prepared.  It's based very much
> on yours for 0.8.  I'll send this out this evening.  Any comments or
> suggestions in the mean time would be appreciated.
>
> Justin
>
> ----
>
> The Apache Qpid community is pleased to announce the immediate availability
> of Apache Qpid 0.10.
>
> Apache Qpid (http://qpid.apache.org) is a cross-platform enterprise
> messaging solution which implements the Advanced Message Queuing Protocol
> (AMQP, http://www.amqp.org).  It provides brokers written in C++ and Java,
> along with clients for C++, Java JMS, .Net, Python, and Ruby.
>
> Qpid 0.10 is available from our website:
>
>  http://qpid.apache.org/download.cgi
>
> The 0.10 release has undergone a lot of bug fixing and feature enhancement.
>  We recommend that all users upgrade.  A few changes of note:
>
>  - The C++ broker now supports priority-ordered message queueing
>  - The C++ broker and client now implement producer flow control
>  - The Java JMS client is now available via Maven
>
> A comprehensive list of features, improvements, and bugs resolved in the

Justin, the above link does not seem to contain the following sections.
"Changes requiring user attention"
"Known issues"

Is this deliberate or was this an oversight ?
I would prefer if we can include the above in our release notes as well.

Also it would be nice if we can link the above page (release notes
page) from our download or 0.10 documentation page.

Rajith