qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: 0.10 release update - generally available
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 14:31:53 GMT
On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Robbie Gemmell wrote:

> Can I ask why links were added to the getting started page to examples
> etc for the Ruby and .Net clients that were simultaneously removed
> from the download page because we voted to drop them from the release
> (and based on that discussion, the repo as well it seems....though no
> one has done it yet)? It seems counter intuitive to me as its probably
> rather unhelpful to users to start promoting the docs for them at this
> point.

It seems obvious to me that you are right and these should be removed.
I'll prepare a patch.

> I have updated our DOAP file in svn to include the 0.10 release, so it
> should show up on our listing at http://projects.apache.org when the
> site is next generated.
>
> We could add a note to the download page (and announcement email?)
> about the maven artifacts yes, that would seem sensible given the
> number of people who have asked about the possibility over the years
> and had probably given up hope of it ever happening ;)
>
> I think https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/010-release.html includes
> various bits of project/developer orientated info that make it
> unsuitable for direct use as a release notes page, although some of
> the earlier information on the page would be OK if separated. That
> said, I don't think we should be manually creating the release notes
> content to this extent, that's something JIRA does for you and is one
> of the reasons to use an issue tracker at all. To me, if you need to
> reword a JIRA title to describe what it does for the release notes
> then that just says we already needed to improve the title on JIRA
> anyway and should be doing that on an ongoing basis instead. I see
> value in highlighting perhaps the 5 most noteworthy things about a
> given release in the announcement email, then having everything after
> that just going via the full release notes and/or documentation.
>
> I made a release notes page for the website for 0.8 with the combined
> JIRA releases notes from the 0.7 and 0.8 versions to make it possible
> to see everything in a single location, and also so that we could link
> to the website in our release announcement. Various other projects do
> this and many of them also offer them via a release notes section on
> their website. The website looks nicer and is faster than JIRA, it
> drives users to our website rather than the wiki or JIRA, and finally
> it gets more links to the website out there for Google to index due to
> blogs/aggregators/mail archives etc picking it up from the
> announcement email. I have put up a similar page for 0.10 at
> http://qpid.apache.org/release_notes_0.10.html if you want to use it.

Thanks, Robbie.  That's excellent.

Here's the release announcement that I have prepared.  It's based very
much on yours for 0.8.  I'll send this out this evening.  Any comments or
suggestions in the mean time would be appreciated.

Justin

----

The Apache Qpid community is pleased to announce the immediate
availability of Apache Qpid 0.10.

Apache Qpid (http://qpid.apache.org) is a cross-platform enterprise
messaging solution which implements the Advanced Message Queuing Protocol
(AMQP, http://www.amqp.org).  It provides brokers written in C++ and Java,
along with clients for C++, Java JMS, .Net, Python, and Ruby.

Qpid 0.10 is available from our website:

   http://qpid.apache.org/download.cgi

The 0.10 release has undergone a lot of bug fixing and feature
enhancement.  We recommend that all users upgrade.  A few changes of note:

   - The C++ broker now supports priority-ordered message queueing
   - The C++ broker and client now implement producer flow control
   - The Java JMS client is now available via Maven

A comprehensive list of features, improvements, and bugs resolved in the
0.10 release is available here:

   http://qpid.apache.org/release_notes_0.10.html

Thanks to all the users and contributors who have helped to improve Apache
Qpid.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org