qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Proposed QIP: Support for Message Grouping in the broker.
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2011 09:25:02 GMT
On 06/28/2011 04:10 PM, mick wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 15:51 +0100, Gordon Sim wrote:
>

>> E.g. imagine the group relates to some real world object being
>> modelled
>> and each message contains describes an update
>

> To me that situation seems like it should be modeled as a queue.
>
> I think it would be very worthwhile in this discussion to figure out at
> what point we feel that a customer ought to opt for a queue rather than
> a message group.

I think the significant difference is addressing. Consumers can subscribe to a
single queue and process multiple message groups _without knowing the names of
all the message groups in advance_. A multiple queue approach requires that the
consumers know the names of all the queues they might be interested in. Of
course we could use multiple queues internally in the implementation but the
consumer wants to see just one named entity it can subscribe to for all the
traffic it cares about.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org