qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject website
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2011 21:02:45 GMT
Hi all,

I have mentioned in the past that I would prefer to do away with the
extra generation step involved in publishing the main website pages.
The current process is convoluted and confusing, with several cases
where the generated site was edited directly without checking in
matching alterations to the source files and leading to these changes
being lost when others generated the site later.

I have put up a test page that uses Server Side Includes (SSI) in
order to allow removing the need to use a script to generate the final
html files from separate content+template files, whilst continuing to
segregate the surrounding elements (header, menu, footer) from the
core content of the page for maintainability. The one downside to this
approach is that if viewing the page locally during editing then the
outer elements will not appear; the style sheet ensures the content
area retains the same sizing as it would have if they did appear
however and so there is little in the way of real impact from this, it
just looks a bit odd at first.

The test page is just a copy of the index page, and you can see that
they appear the same in a browser:
http://qpid.apache.org/index.html
http://qpid.apache.org/test.html

Looking at the source in the repo shows they are however composed
quite differently:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/site/docs/index.html

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/site/docs/test.html
+ http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/site/docs/header.include
+ http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/site/docs/menu.include
+ http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/site/docs/footer.include

Unless there are any objections, I intend to transition all the
existing website pages to the SSI format and then remove the source
files from trunk/qpid/doc/website in the days ahead.

Robbie

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org