qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ideas to rationalise the Java test profiles.
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2011 15:51:15 GMT
On 4 July 2011 15:48, Gordon Sim <gsim@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 07/04/2011 03:39 PM, Rajith Attapattu wrote:
>>
>> Just to add to it, any changes to the Java client should also be
>> tested with the cpp test profile.
>> Any changes to the client failover mechanism should also be tested
>> with the cpp.cluster profile.
>>
>> I know it's a pain to run all these profiles, especially considering
>> each run takes about 30-40 mins.
>> But atm there is no better alternative.
>
> I think Keith's suggestion is a very reasonable alternative. It would mean
> that the client's 0-10 codepath is always exercised, which I think is the
> critical thing. If that were done reliably before checkin I think it would
> be an improvement, and by minimising the running time I think that becomes
> more realistic.
>
> Of course the handling of subtle differences between the java- and c++-
> brokers on 0-10 is something we want to test, but having that done even
> nightly by an automated test infrastructure would go a long way there
> (provided we actually stay on top of failure reports!).
>
> What I would like is a simple way to run the tests against an externally
> started broker. I.e. I can give a port (and optionally hostname and perhaps
> authentication details), and then run through the test suite against a
> broker I started myself.

It would be good if we could get the C++ broker/cluster tests running
on the ASF Jenkins infrastructure, although I know Andrew Kennedy did
start down that route previously and found doing so would involve a
significant amount of setup to work with the Ubuntu instances
available.

It is currently possible to run tests against an existing broker by
overriding the 'broker' property on the command line and specifying it
as 'external', however any tests in the suite which expect to be able
to restart the broker or pass it test-specific configuration will fail
in this scenario.

Robbie

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org