qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ideas to rationalise the Java test profiles.
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2011 15:45:32 GMT
Hi Rajith,

The changes we are proposing to the Java test profiles only relate to
the Java broker used during test runs, nothing else will change, and
as always changes should be tested against the C++ broker.

Going forward, the 30-40min test profiles will pretty much be a thing
of the past as far as humans are concerned, and we will leave those up
to the Jenkins box 99% of the time, all the profiles we'd expect
people to run will complete significantly faster.

The obvious way to improve up our testing situation is to stop using
system tests where unit tests are more appropriate, i.e the vast
majority of cases. A lot of our current system tests are of low
utility and would be better implemented as unit tests. We should
probably also look towards implementing a suite of system tests that
exercise common messaging use cases, and going forward attempt to
transition as much of the rest into well thought through and
specifically targeted unit tests.

Robbie