qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: IPv6 support for Java for 0.14?
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 15:00:36 GMT
On Fri, 2011-08-12 at 11:50 +0100, Gordon Sim wrote:
> On 08/11/2011 09:03 PM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> > That is correct, you can use an IPv6 socket to accept IPv4 connections
> > too, but there are good reasons you might want to create separate v4 and
> > v6 only listening sockets. Essentially this gives you stronger control
> > over the protocols individually if you need that
>
> Could you elaborate on that a little? You mean you can decide whether or
> not to enable one or other protocol? Or some other aspect of control?

That is pretty much what I mean, sorry for being obscure.

In the new C++ code we create a v6 only listening socket and a v4
listening socket so that we could disable one or the other individually
- that functionality isn't there now, but I think it's very likely to be
needed.

Doing this also means that any v4 connections get obvious v4 addresses
and not v6 addresses in the v4mapped format in the log and management
interfaces without having to inspect the returned v6 address in code and
change it if it is v4 mapped.

>From the Java docs you references it looks like you can't do the same
for Java v6 listening sockets, ie they can't be v6 only.

Andrew

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org