qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Review Request: Provides the EventNotifier type, plus example agent and unit test.
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2011 22:19:57 GMT
On Mon, 2011-08-22 at 17:09 -0400, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:

> So I guess what we're looking at are possibly two different things. I'm
> looking at EventNotifier to, in the getHandle() method, return something
> that will work like a file descriptor but on Windows.

The problem is that the closest thing to a Unix file descriptor on
Windows is a HANDLE. But SOCKETs are not HANDLEs.

If all your application wants to do is receive data from sockets and
multiplex that then a windows SOCKET is fine.

But given you're writing a library which will be used by some arbitrary
application I don't see how you can assert that the only thing this
unknown application will be allowed to do in parallel in it's main loop
with qmf is other network operations.

Andrew

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org