qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Kennedy <andrewinternatio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 0.14 release update - alpha is available
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:41:50 GMT
On 30 Oct 2011, at 18h23, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> I cant be sure as IANAL, but I believe publishing the bdbstore module
> would be ok. We still wouldnt be distributing the dependency
> ourselves, none of our other artifacts would depend on it so its still
> entirely optional, and there are certainly other Apache projects doing
> similar things.

This was my understanding also.

> Looking at what gets generated after applying the patch, it appears it
> could still do with some additional cleanup beyond just moving the
> test code (which seems reasonable) because it shouldnt depend on
> client or management-common either as far as I can see. There is also
> a typo in the bdb dependency version for the pom generation.

The qpid-bdbstore POM was a last minute addition, and I've made some changes to address those
points. After a bit of further tidyup, I'll commit the patch, anyway.

> It doesnt seem like Oracle distribute it to the central repo and
> instead only publish to their own, so the version we use isnt
> available there currently (though an older verison does seem to be).
> As you know im not a regular Maven user...is publishing POMs that
> probably wont work without additional configuration by end users
> frowned upon, or just considered par for the course in situations like
> that?

I think it isn't a problem, but to be nice we should probably add a repository element to
the generated POM which will require tweaking the generation process somewhat.

> BTW, the OSGI manifest isnt used for the regular jars (or by extension
> the maven artifacts), it only gets used when producing specific
> osgi'fied jars I dont think we actually ship. We should really just
> use them for the standard jars and make everything the same (but thats
> a change that probably should wait for the next release).

Yes, I noticed that, but didn't care too much at present. As you say, it can be dealt with
in a later release. I simply wanted the .bnd file in place to allow modification in future.

Cheers,
Andrew.
--
-- andrew d kennedy ? +7584719571 : http://grkvlt.blogspot.com/ ;