qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject updating the Nabble archive for the dev list
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2011 23:44:33 GMT
Hi all,

Glen Mazza suggested on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-3637 that we adopt a
grouped structure for our mailing list archives on Nabble that place
the various archives together like other Apache projects do, and also
add an archive for the commits list.

I asked Robert Greig to add me as an administrator so that I could
update the existing user and dev list archives, and have created a new
parent around the user list which will serve as the parent for all the
other archives and can be found at:
http://qpid.2158936.n2.nabble.com/. That process updated the URLs in
use for the user list but provides redirects for old links so they
still work. I also added an archive for the commits list to the new
parent.

The issue now is what to do with the dev list archive. It is possible
to move the existing forum to the new parent I created around the user
list, however that process explicitly notes that it will break
existing URLs. That seems to give various choices including the
following:

1. Create a new archive for the dev list, keep the old one and let
both run (possibly deleting the old one after quite some time).
2. Create a new archive for the dev list, keep the old one but add
post directing users to the new/old ones before unsubscribing it from
the mailing list.
3. Just move the existing forum, retaining the old posts but breaking
existing links to them.
4. Create a new archive for the dev list, delete the old one immediately.

Any preference out there? Im thinking 1 or 2.

Robbie

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org