qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Huston <shus...@riverace.com>
Subject Re: C++ messaging client: fractional values for reconnect parameters?
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 18:51:15 GMT
I like your idea, Alan.

I like Andrew's idea about appending units if it's a command line or environment variable
reading operation. However fo rhte C++ API, I like the float idea.

-Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Conway" <aconway@redhat.com>
To: "Qpid Dev" <dev@qpid.apache.org>, "rhs" <rhs@redhat.com>, "Gordon Sim" <gsim@redhat.com>,
"Ted Ross" <tross@redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 1, 2012 10:21:22 AM
Subject: C++ messaging client: fractional values for reconnect parameters?

Presently the C++ client takes options for reconnecting (reconnect-timeout,
reconnect-interval-min/max etc.) in seconds. A second is too long for
applications that require rapid fail-over. I'd like to make these values more
fine grained, but I don't want to break the existing interface.

Proposal: Have C++ treat reconnect time values as floats, so e.g.
reconnect-interval-min=0.001 sets a millisecond as the minimum interval.
Existing code will be unaffected. I believe this is already the case for the
python client, since python normally expresses time in floating-point seconds.

Does anyone see a problem with this approach or have an alternative suggestion?
The only alternatives I can think of are:

- break backward compatibility and re-interpret reconnect values as milliseconds
or nanoseconds rather than seconds.
- add another set of reconnect-timeout-ms or reconnect-timeout-ns options on top
of the existing second options.

I don't like either of those.

Cheers,
Alan.