qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: 0.16 release update - the alpha is out
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 15:59:43 GMT
On 02/23/2012 03:54 PM, Justin Ross wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012, Gordon Sim wrote:
>
>> On a more minor point, the qpid-cpp release tarball still uses 0.15 as
>> do those for qmf and tools and for the separate java client and broker
>> downloads. The python tarball uses 0.16.
>
> That's down to the various methods used to put version numbers in the
> dir names. The inconsistency will only be apparent for alphas; I
> manually fix it up for starting witht the beta.

Understood.

>> And while I'm on that topic, we have noted in the past some
>> inconsistencies between components. For example the c++ tarball
>> extracts to qpidc-0.16 [assuming the version number is corrected], the
>> qmf and tools tarballs extract to qpid-qmf-0.16 and qpid-tools-0.16,
>> python extracts to qpid-0.16-alpha (under which we have python and
>> specs), the java client-only download extracts to qpid-client-0.16 and
>> the java broker-only download extracts to qpid-broker-0.16. Is this
>> something that can be addressed simply? i.e. could we tweak the
>> directory names so that they look consistent? (Don't want to embark on
>> the whole svn layout reorg here, just exploring whether a simple
>> naming change for release artefacts is feasible).
>
> I think we could adjust the names, and I'd like to. If we can agree to
> rationalize things, I can produce another alpha distribution next week
> with the changes for review.

The actually downloadable tarballs themselves are I think quite
consistently and intuitively named. Perhaps therefore we could simply
follow that?

E.g. change qpidc-0.16 to qpid-cpp-0.16, change qpid-client-0.16 to
qpid-java-client-0.16, qpid-broker-0.16 to qpid-java-broker-0.16... (I
haven't checked recently, but I imagine the combined java one would then
be qpid-java-0.16)

The python one is perhaps the most controversial as it contains both the
spec and python dir. However if we changed from qpid-0.16-alpha to
qpid-python-client-0.16 it would be clearer I think. There may be better
suggestions of course...

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org