qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: handling no-local for existing queues
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 19:42:48 GMT
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Robbie Gemmell
<robbie.gemmell@gmail.com> wrote:
> I cross-posted this on the JIRA so I'll report it here incase anyone
> wants a discussion :)
>

> I think the JIRA title is perhaps a little misleading, given the
> number of tests running that show it does work to an extent.

Actually it should have been (corrected now) does not work when using
address strings.
The fix for QPID-3539 was only added to the BURL part.

> Perhaps 'doesn't work when used on queues not originally declared no-local'
> would be clearer. The BURL usage may always send the queue declare,
> but redeclaring a queue that exists wont make it no-local.

My bad, the intention of the JIRA was to address the issue of no-local
not working when using address strings.
But it seems I have unintentionally highlighted the issue of no-local
not working for existing queues.

Speaking with Gordon, it seems, at-least from a JMS POV, that no local
for existing Queues is not an issue.
>From the API doc "NoLocal - - if true, and the destination is a topic,
inhibits the delivery of messages published by its own connection. The
behavior for NoLocal is not specified if the destination is a queue. "
Since we obviously create the subscription queues for each topic at
the time of subscription, at least from a JMS pov we can easily ensure
that we pass the no-local argument when creating the queue.

> The client currently only sends the no-local argument during queue
> creation as you mentioned, but there is support in the protocol for
> adding arguments to subscriptions so it could potentially be added
> there too (The protocol actually has a no-local field on the file and
> stream consume methods, so why it doesn't on the standard subscribe
> method I'm not sure).

I vaguely remembered something like this hence the question.
Again speaking with Gordon I found the C++ broker does not support
no-local being sent as an argument during subscription.
However given the requirements around no-local for JMS I believe we
can just get away with Topics and not worry about Queues.

Rajith