qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Address validation Queues vs Topics
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:46:20 GMT
Robbie,

My preference is also to just use "queue" and "topic" qualifiers and
deprecate "destination" , hence listed it as option #1 in a previous
email.
I agree with you, Rob and Gordon that the above approach is simple,
easy and more importantly less buggy.

The reason I had "destination" in my summary is due to backwards compatibility.
However I agree with Rob that the pain of deprecating the
"destination"  qualifier is much less than having to deal with the
issues at the code level and the runtime issues a user might
encounter.
I will post the code soon for review.

Gentlemen, Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on this.

Regards,

Rajith

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 7:46 AM, Robbie Gemmell
<robbie.gemmell@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>   - If a "type" is specified with the address we will use that as a
>> hint when trying to check the presence of the node in the broker.
>>     Ex if hello; {type=topic}, for 0-10 we will attempt to see if
>> there is an exchange in the broker named "hello" and throw an
>> exception if no create instructions are given.
>>

> This one I am less keen on. If a user specifies a type in their
> address string, then I think thats the type of object they should get,
> it shouldnt just be a hint used at some random point later when the
> Destination is used and we perform magic. If someone defined a
> 'destination.' entry saying that it is a queue, I would for example
> expect that to work when trying to create a QueueBrowser rather than
> throwing a ClassCastException. We had a user submit a patch just weeks
> ago to fix that exact use case.
>
> I think the scope for anyone getting a Destination object that didnt
> actually form a concreate Queue or Topic implementation should be
> absolutely minimal. I'd really rather prefer it didnt happen as I dont
> think it should ever be necessary for current use cases, and I'm a big
> fan of users actually having to ask for exactly what they want and
> then us trying to give them what they asked for. If what they asked
> for isnt compatible with whats found on the broker then I think thats
> when we throw an Exception telling them so, not when we start deciding
> things for them.
>
> Although JMS defines 'Destination', I really dont think it ever
> expects there to be direct implementations of it as it lists no
> methods, not even the mandated toString() 'representation of
> destination' as found on Queue and Topic. Destination was added to
> allow the new cross-domain Session objects in 1.1 to use of both
> existing Queue and Topic objects on a single session at the same time;
> there was no session.createDestination() method added along with it.
> The spec still deals with two domains, P2P and Pub/Sub, via the same
> old Queue and Topic types that now happen to also be Destinations.
>
> Do we know of any other providers who provide their users Destination
> objects which arent implementations of Queue or Topic? The idea had
> never entered my head previous to these Addressing discussions, so I
> am genuinely interested to know if there are.
>
> Robbie
>
>> Does this sound reasonable ? Please feel free to add/change anything I
>> have missed.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Rajith
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Rajith Attapattu <rajith77@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Rob,
>>>
>>> Addressing is indeed a pain point and most of it is due to grey areas
>>> causing undesirable side effects.
>>> I've got some work that I'm hoping to post today.
>>>
>>> Let me first check that into a branch and then I will post a brief
>>> outline of the design and the code in review board.
>>> I'm hoping to wrap this up in next 2 weeks.

Queue

JNDI