qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Address validation Queues vs Topics
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 19:22:33 GMT
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Robbie Gemmell
<robbie.gemmell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to be clear, I have never been suggesting we remove
> 'destination.' entries from the equation. I think we should keep
> 'destination.' as we do have users already using it as its the only
> way to specify ADDRs in there,

The changes I'm proposing includes allowing both ADDR or BURL to be
specified for "queue" and "topics".
This will result in a concrete implementation of javax.jms.Queue or
javax.jms.Topic being returned.

As Rob points out, I think the pain in changing an existing
"destination" entry into a distinct "queue" or "topic" would force an
administrator to really think through the implications of the address
string entry.
We have lots of users who are confused with addressing and forcing
them to specify their address as a "queue" or a "topic" is going to
reduce a lot of pain for them down the line.

A huge plus is the simplicity we achieve in our code base by doing this.

> and its also still an important entry
> point for people using BURLs without the arbitary assignment to
> amq.topic or amq.direct exchanges. I just think we should fix it.

I'm not exactly sure what you meant here.
But to clarify, amq.topic doesn't imply Topics any more than
amq.direct implies Queue.
We could do Topic style messaging using amq.topic, amq.direct,
amq.fanout or any custom exchange.

The existing implementation of AMQQueue and AMQTopic is very limited
in that it assume amq.topic for Topics and amq.direct for Queues.

> We should make people using it with ADDRs specify what type of node
> they desire, but theres no reason not to let any users who are already
> doing that or anyone using BURLs just continue to have their code keep
> working. Only the users using ADDRs and 'destination.' who currently
> arent setting a node type would need to adjust, which they would all
> have to anyway if we ever removed it in favour of the other two
> varieties.

As for backwards compatibility,
Well for ADDR we can throw an exception unless a type is specified.

How do you propose we tackle BURL ?
Choose Queue or Topic based on the type of exchange being used ?
What if they use a custom exchange? how would we determine the type ?
This amounts to the magic we are already doing with address string
albeit with not so stellar results with TCK failures etc....
Instead of us trying to solve those headaches in the code,  lets
simplify it by asking the administrator to make a decision.

Even if we allow "destination" for backwards compatibility, I'm
strongly in favour of deprecating "destination" and making it quite
clear in release notes and documentation.

Again the pain of having to deal with Queue vs Topic is best handled
at configuration time by an administrator than us trying to do the
magic in the code.

Regards,

Rajith

> [...]
>> Robbie,
>>
>> My preference is also to just use "queue" and "topic" qualifiers and
>> deprecate "destination" , hence listed it as option #1 in a previous
>> email.
>> I agree with you, Rob and Gordon that the above approach is simple,
>> easy and more importantly less buggy.
>>
>> The reason I had "destination" in my summary is due to backwards compatibility.
>> However I agree with Rob that the pain of deprecating the
>> "destination"  qualifier is much less than having to deal with the
>> issues at the code level and the runtime issues a user might
>> encounter.
>> I will post the code soon for review.
>>
>> Gentlemen, Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on this.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Rajith
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 7:46 AM, Robbie Gemmell
>> <robbie.gemmell@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This seems reasonable yes.

>>> This one I am less keen on. If a user specifies a type in their
>>> address string, then I think thats the type of object they should get,
>>> it shouldnt just be a hint used at some random point later when the
>>> Destination is used and we perform magic. If someone defined a
>>> 'destination.' entry saying that it is a queue, I would for example
>>> expect that to work when trying to create a QueueBrowser rather than
>>> throwing a ClassCastException. We had a user submit a patch just weeks
>>> ago to fix that exact use case.
>>>
>>> I think the scope for anyone getting a Destination object that didnt
>>> actually form a concreate Queue or Topic implementation should be
>>> absolutely minimal. I'd really rather prefer it didnt happen as I dont
>>> think it should ever be necessary for current use cases, and I'm a big
>>> fan of users actually having to ask for exactly what they want and
>>> then us trying to give them what they asked for. If what they asked
>>> for isnt compatible with whats found on the broker then I think thats
>>> when we throw an Exception telling them so, not when we start deciding
>>> things for them.
>>>
>>> Although JMS defines 'Destination', I really dont think it ever
>>> expects there to be direct implementations of it as it lists no
>>> methods, not even the mandated toString() 'representation of
>>> destination' as found on Queue and Topic. Destination was added to
>>> allow the new cross-domain Session objects in 1.1 to use of both
>>> existing Queue and Topic objects on a single session at the same time;
>>> there was no session.createDestination() method added along with it.
>>> The spec still deals with two domains, P2P and Pub/Sub, via the same
>>> old Queue and Topic types that now happen to also be Destinations.
>>>
>>> Do we know of any other providers who provide their users Destination
>>> objects which arent implementations of Queue or Topic? The idea had
>>> never entered my head previous to these Addressing discussions, so I
>>> am genuinely interested to know if there are.

but

is this
 However

Queue