qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Address validation Queues vs Topics
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 17:49:06 GMT
Just to be clear, I have never been suggesting we remove
'destination.' entries from the equation. I think we should keep
'destination.' as we do have users already using it as its the only
way to specify ADDRs in there, and its also still an important entry
point for people using BURLs without the arbitary assignment to
amq.topic or amq.direct exchanges. I just think we should fix it.

We should make people using it with ADDRs specify what type of node
they desire, but theres no reason not to let any users who are already
doing that or anyone using BURLs just continue to have their code keep
working. Only the users using ADDRs and 'destination.' who currently
arent setting a node type would need to adjust, which they would all
have to anyway if we ever removed it in favour of the other two
varieties.

Robbie

On 29 February 2012 15:46, Rajith Attapattu <rajith77@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> being used, we will raise an exception highlighting the discrepancy.
>>>         Ex. topic.my-topic="my-queue; {type : queue}"
>>

>> This seems reasonable yes.
>>

>>> 2. If "destination.<jndi-name>=<address>" is used,
>>>
>>>   - This will return a Destination impl that only implements the
>>> javax.jms.Destination.
>>>   -  ** If this destination is used with JMS 1.0 methods, it will
>>> result in a class cast exception.**
>>>   - We will not attempt to determine if the address used here is a
>>> JMS Topic or a JMS Queue.
>>>   - If a "type" is specified with the address we will use that as a
>>> hint when trying to check the presence of the node in the broker.
>>>     Ex if hello; {type=topic}, for 0-10 we will attempt to see if
>>> there is an exchange in the broker named "hello" and throw an
>>> exception if no create instructions are given.
>>>

>> This one I am less keen on. If a user specifies a type in their
>> address string, then I think thats the type of object they should get,
>> it shouldnt just be a hint used at some random point later when the
>> Destination is used and we perform magic. If someone defined a
>> 'destination.' entry saying that it is a queue, I would for example
>> expect that to work when trying to create a QueueBrowser rather than
>> throwing a ClassCastException. We had a user submit a patch just weeks
>> ago to fix that exact use case.
>>
>> I think the scope for anyone getting a Destination object that didnt
>> actually form a concreate Queue or Topic implementation should be
>> absolutely minimal. I'd really rather prefer it didnt happen as I dont
>> think it should ever be necessary for current use cases, and I'm a big
>> fan of users actually having to ask for exactly what they want and
>> then us trying to give them what they asked for. If what they asked
>> for isnt compatible with whats found on the broker then I think thats
>> when we throw an Exception telling them so, not when we start deciding
>> things for them.
>>
>> Although JMS defines 'Destination', I really dont think it ever
>> expects there to be direct implementations of it as it lists no
>> methods, not even the mandated toString() 'representation of
>> destination' as found on Queue and Topic. Destination was added to
>> allow the new cross-domain Session objects in 1.1 to use of both
>> existing Queue and Topic objects on a single session at the same time;
>> there was no session.createDestination() method added along with it.
>> The spec still deals with two domains, P2P and Pub/Sub, via the same
>> old Queue and Topic types that now happen to also be Destinations.
>>
>> Do we know of any other providers who provide their users Destination
>> objects which arent implementations of Queue or Topic? The idea had
>> never entered my head previous to these Addressing discussions, so I
>> am genuinely interested to know if there are.
>>
>> Robbie
>>
>>> Does this sound reasonable ? Please feel free to add/change anything I

I'm pretty

If that