qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Review Request: Develop Asynchronous Store Interface for Qpid (v.2)
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 20:57:23 GMT
On Wed, 2012-02-29 at 19:52 +0000, Gordon Sim wrote:
> To support both cases you would need something a little more complex.
> E.g. we could have:
>
> MessageHandle* createMessageHandle(DataSource*);
> EnqueuedMessageHandle* createEnqueuedMessageHandle(MessageHandle*,
> Queuehandle*);
>
> void submitEnqueue(EnqueuedMessageHandle*, TxnHandle*, ResultCallback*,
> BrokerContext*);
> void submitDequeue(EnqueuedMessageHandle*, TxnHandle*, ResultCallback*,
> BrokerContext*);
>
> Here the broker could signal the fact that the same content is used in
> multiple enqueues by re-using the same MessageHandle when creating each
> EnqueuedMessageHandle. The store implementation could then decide
> whether this was something it cared about or not.
>
> I guess that this is probably worth it. It doesn't make the stores more
> complicated than they want to be in any real sense and the impact on the
> broker is not that high and buys us flexibility for the future.

I think this is the best approach, and indeed I intended my sketch to
indicate something like this was my intent (I clearly failed - sorry
about that)

[MessageHandle is called DataHandle and EnqueuedMessageHandle is called
EnqueueHandle in the interface I suggested, although there you do pass
the MessageHandle into the actual operation rather than bundle it into
another Handle. I'm perfectly happy with either approach]

Andrew

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org