qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AMQP 1.0 Work
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 22:42:28 GMT
On 1 March 2012 23:34, Rafael Schloming <rafaels@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> As I'm sure a number of you are aware, there has been some early
> prototyping/devel work going on by a few qpid developers on a 1.0 protocol
> implementation. Because of the early/experimental nature of the work we've
> not yet pulled it into the qpid tree, but things are far enough along now
> that we'd like to find a place for it. The goal of this work is not only to
> provide qpid support for AMQP 1.0, but also to provide a very portable,
> reusable, and embeddable protocol implementation that makes it easy to
> integrate AMQP 1.0 support into the widest possible range of existing
> software.
>
> Keeping that in mind, I'd like to propose the following source layout to
> bring in this new work, starting from the QPID SVN root (
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/**asf/qpid/<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/>
> ):
>
>  .../qpid/
>      +--amp/
>          +--amp-c/
>          +--amp-java/
>          +--spec
>          +--test
>

> This directory structure is intended to provide a bunch of different
> things. For users interested in embedding AMQP 1.0 support into a C or Java
> project, the amp-c and amp-java directories would be the main entry points
> for each language respectively. The spec directory contains a language
> neutral specification for the protocol API and the implementation design
> should anyone wish to develop a similarly structured implementation in
> another language, or extend the existing implementations in any way. The
> test directory will contain a comprehensive set of python tests that can be
> shared between the C and Java implementations. The amp directory itself
> will be a top level entry point intended for qpid developers and will
> facilitate streamlined build and test of both implementations thereby
> ensuring they remain in sync as much as possible.
>
> Currently the C implementation is hosted on github (
> https://github.com/rhs/amp) and Rob is tracking this pretty closely in
> Java. Please check it out and let me know if you have any questions,
> obviously it's still work in progress and shouldn't be considered cast in
> stone at this point.
>
> The name "amp" isn't cast in stone either. It's origin is simply AMQP
> minus the Queuing. Justin suggested "proton" as well. Any other suggestions
> are welcome, with the caveat that we'd like to get this checked in pretty
> soon as we have increasing numbers of people working together on this stuff
> now.
>
> Please let me know your thoughts. We've discussed a milestone release for
> this stuff at the end of March, so obviously we'd like to get things into
> the tree ASAP. If I don't hear any objections, I'll submit something early
> next week.
>
> --Rafael

Just want to second this proposal.

I've already had several people ask me where Qpid's 1-0 plan was... and
given our involvement in the writing of the AMQP 1-0 standard it is
somewhat shameful that up till now we've not had any public presence for
our 1-0 work. Having a visible 1-0 presence for Qpid should be a priority
for us.

I'm very keen to get the Java work I've been doing up onto Apache, and then
start on the next task of integrating the engine into our brokers and
clients... So I'm hoping we can quickly get agreement on this (I think
we've discussed most of this previously anyway).

Cheers,
Rob