qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Keith W <keith.w...@gmail.com>
Subject Java Broker: Unified configuration, management overhaul
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:27:14 GMT
We are beginning a major piece of work to change the configuration and
management mechanism that underlies the Java Broker.

Why?
It currently has a mixed model for storage of configuration: some
configuration items are held in XML files, some are held in store, and
some can be held in both. There is no clear model as to which source
should prevail in the event of overlaps.    Management abstraction is
poor (it is interposed into the broker core) making the introduction
of new management interfaces problematic.

What?
We are intending to throughly overhaul of whole
configuration/management mechanism.  We are considering major changes
in the following areas:

1) New configuration model with backed by consistent storage model
2) Removal of configuration XML
3) Management interfaces (embedded web interface, rationalised JMX
interface, QMF) to allow the complete configuration the Broker from
its out-of-the-box state (rather like the CPP Broker).

The following wiki page documents the current ideas. This page will
envolve over the next few weeks as the ideas crystalise.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Java+Broker+Unified+Configuration

Any contributions/questions would be welcome but please reply on list
rather than commenting on page.

cheers, Keith.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org