qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Goldstein <andy.goldst...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: qpid with NAT
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2012 19:42:06 GMT
On Apr 11, 2012, at 2:59 PM, Jakub Nadolski wrote:

>> On 04/11/2012 10:34 AM, Jakub Nadolski wrote:
>>> I have a question about working client-broker configuration with NAT. To
>>> send messages from broker to client I would like to use existing
>>> connection established from client to broker. Is it possible? Or perhaps
>>> there is another way to work when AMQP client is behind a NAT?
>>
>> That is the normal mode of use. A client connects to a broker,
>> subscribes to a particular queue and the broker will then send messages
>> back to the client over that connection.

> Thanks for reply Gordon. I realize that my question was not precise
> enough. By connection I mean tcp-connection, not connection on qpid level.
> When client subscribes to a queue there is one tcp connection and when
> broker sends messages to the client there is another tcp connection, so
> two tcp connections at all. So my problem still exists. Does anybody have
> experience with qpid client behind a NAT?

The connection for a client to subscribe to a queue and the connection for the broker to send
messages to a client is one and the same - there are not 2 connections here.  AMQP connections
are persistent and stateful, unlike a stateless protocol such as HTTP.  If your client can
route packets to the broker, and the broker is successfully able to route packets back to
the client, communications will be successful.

HTH,
Andy