qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: proton: motivation and strategy
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2012 18:03:39 GMT
On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 15:59 +0100, Gordon Sim wrote:

> I've personally invested a lot of time and effort in the qpid messaging
> API. It was specifically geared to transitioning to 1.0. I personally
> feel there is much to recommend it still. My desire would be to find a
> way for this to 'blend in' with the APIs developing under proton in some
> way.
>
> However I agree with Rafi's analysis of the different facets of use; I
> find his account of the evolution of proton in this respect compelling.
> I think it would be foolish to stick rigidly to the past despite a
> deeper, richer understanding of the API space emerging.
>
> I believe that what users really want is not 4 entirely separate APIs,
> but something that transitions from one use case to another more
> smoothly. Ideally I don't want to have to learn all 4 APIs to see which
> one best fits my requirements; ideally I don't want a new requirement in relat
> my system to force me onto an entirely different API.

Rafi's axes were blocking/non-blocking and
easy-to-use/full-control-of-protocol.

On the blocking front, a good messaging API should support both blocking
and non-blocking use. The messaging API can certainly be extended in a
backward compatible way to do so.

On the easy-to-use front it seems to me that the ideal is the an easy
messaging API layered over a full-control proton API, where the
underlying proton API can be exposed for "advanced" users or ignored by
normal users.