qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Darryl L. Pierce" <dpie...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: 0.18 inclusion request - Perl upstream tarball changes
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2012 13:09:39 GMT
On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 12:32:13AM +0100, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> We have previously discussed only having a single source release tar
> instead of duplicating the source across multiple archives, this seems to
> go further against that grain. Also, what makes the perl bindings get their
> own source tar release but not other bindings?

Right now the other language bindings do, in fact, have separate source
releases: the python-qpid tarball and the Ruby gemfile (though the
latter isn't officially created as of yet, it is still a distinct
release artifact from the monolithic C++ codebase).

> Being able to generate such an archive and it actually being part of the
> release artifacts seem like separate issues to an extent.

In taking these separate packages through review on Fedora, the first
thing reviewers have asked for is "where can I find the source for this
package?" And pointing them to a tarball that is 99% unnecessary and
unused by the package seems the wrong answer.

In this case we're not really duplicating anything: the perl tarball
only those few files needed to do a Perl language bindings release and
nothing else. Files that no longer need to be included in the C++ source
release.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/