qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Mazza <gma...@talend.com>
Subject Re: Maven build?
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2012 16:06:57 GMT
Umm, I would say the main priority is that Joseph creates the pom such
that proton builds via "mvn clean install" OOTB (as any good Maven
project should.)  As long as he's met that threshold, I don't see a need
anymore for maintaining two sources of records for builds.

Maven is really mind-numbingly simple for those building with it. No
matter what you're building, it's always "mvn clean install" (so long as
the pom is properly written, as it nearly always is).  All you need to
do is download Maven, add $MAVEN_HOME/bin to your system path (just like
you do for Ant) and you're all set.

The problem with providing an Ant build is that non-Maven users, never
having worked with it, tend to awfulize Maven, and then stick with Ant,
continuing their misconception of Maven.  Maven is really an ice cream
cone, not a brussels sprout, but sometimes people need to be given a
push to find that out.  :)  Also, burdening Joseph by having him
create/maintain a separate Ant build also takes away his efforts towards
creating an awesome Maven build.

Glen

--
Glen Mazza