qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Maven build?
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2012 17:52:36 GMT
On 07/25/2012 05:06 PM, Glen Mazza wrote:
> The problem with providing an Ant build is that non-Maven users, never
> having worked with it, tend to awfulize Maven, and then stick with Ant,
> continuing their misconception of Maven.  Maven is really an ice cream
> cone, not a brussels sprout, but sometimes people need to be given a
> push to find that out.  :)

Last time I tried it tasted like something much worse than brussel
sprouts! It may have improved since then; it may be that there is a way
to pinch your nose so it doesn't taste quite so bad; it may one of those
flavours that some love and others hate. (It may be I'm stretching the
analogy too far!)

>  Also, burdening Joseph by having him
> create/maintain a separate Ant build also takes away his efforts towards
> creating an awesome Maven build.

I don't think that was what was being proposed. There is already an ant
build in place and I think the assumption was the ongoing maintenance
would not be great given the simplicity of the project.

It seems like a good idea to me, though as mentioned I don't currently
see myself as a key user/developer in the very near future at least and
so wouldn't want to impose anything on those who are. It would however
let people have a nibble at the latest maven and either be astounded at
its delicious nature or be able to take the bad taste away with a nice
bite of ant. (Sorry, I couldn't resist!).