qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: What libraries/versions for proton?
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 20:07:45 GMT
On Thu, 2012-08-02 at 15:55 -0400, Joseph Ottinger wrote:
> I was building proton-c and the build fails in messenger.c, trying to
> include <uuid/uuid.h>.
>
> There's a uuid library for C, but it defines different types than
> proton is expecting. Can anyone tell me which uuid library is
> expected? It's looking for a *system* library for uuid.

You don't say which platform you are trying to build on. I'm guessing
it's not Linux.

The uuid functionality is irritatingly different between platforms. The
current proton code compiles on Linux using libuuid libuuid-devel on
Fedora and I think libuuid-dev on Debian based distros.

On Solaris there is also uuid/uuid.h but it defines a subtly different
API (wrt to const).

On BSDs there is uuid/uuid.h with an entirely different API, which is
more akin to the original DCE interface - I'm guessing this is what
you're encountering (MacOS?)

On Windows the header file is entirele different rpcdce.h I think with a
very different API also based on the original DCE interface.

You may need to write a very small shim layer to get it to work: As
there are only a couple of functions used this shouldn't be very hard.

Hope this helps.

Andrew