qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: What is the Impact if one closes a receiver
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 06:57:08 GMT
On 10/08/2012 04:25 PM, Nitin Shah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone answer what happens in Qpid C++ implementation version 0.18
> when:
>
> 1.Having created a receiver and a thread is performing receives  for all
> receivers created using the getNextReceiver( ) with a timeout and at
> some point later, another thread decides to close the receiver via the
> receiver.close() call? Can we assume that receiver is permanently removed?
>
> 2.If one wanted to add a new receiver at some point later,  which is
> exactly the same as the originally created receiver using
> createReceiver(), is that ok to do?  Of course we are assuming that the
> nextReceiver()  after the create call will return the newly created
> receiver when that receiver has any data.
>
> Are these valid assumptions? The documentation does not seem to give me
> an answer.
>
> In a nutshell, we are trying to add and remove receivers at will.

That is certainly possible. However without some degree of coordination
between the threads using the receivers and those removing them, you may
get exceptions thrown (e.g. if you are fetching on a receiver as you
close it on another thread). I would advise adding a little locking or
coordination of some form between your threads.