qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Broker repeating messages
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 07:02:19 GMT
On 10/08/2012 09:10 PM, Nitin Shah wrote:
> We are running Qpid C++ broker(s) release version 0.18 . I find it
> strange when the clients reconnect to a broker that has been killed and
> restarted, messages get repeated. In my case we set up the connection
> with the option = “reconnect:true”. We also acknowledge the received
> messages as soon as they are received. In my test case, the messages are
> received a long time before the broker is killed and restarted. However,
> the last 5 messages are re-received whatever I do. The receiver Capacity
> is set to 10.
>
> Can we avoid this situation. We wish not to get the repeated messages
> since we have already acknowledged them. Is this a BUG?

Once an acknowledgement has been processed by the broker it should not
redeliver those messages. On linux there is a known issue at present
relating to the asynchronous write of the dequeue record to the journal.
The 0-10 session-completed for message-accept is sent without waiting
for that asynchronous write to complete. This can mean that recently
acknowledged messages are not marked as dequeued in the broker when it
is shutdown, and those messages would be redelivered when restarted.

However, it does seem strange that it is a 'long time' before the broker
is killed that the acknowledgements were sent. Can you quantify what you
mean there?

One other thing to check is to make sure that it is not in fact the
sender that is replaying the messages (rather than the broker).